Kevin Hayes ’15 Leads List of Warriors Honored for 2013-14 Campaign
Posted: April 15, 2014
A number of the 2013-14 Warriors have been honored for their efforts in the 2013-14 campaign, none more than Junior F Kevin Hayes.
Among Hayes’ honors since the season ended in March:
- Recognized by the Basketball Coaches Association of Michigan (BCAM) as one of its top 20 players, or “BCAM’s Best,” in Class A
- Honorable mention All-State (Detroit Free Press)
- Honorable mention All-State (Detroit News)
- Most Improved Player in Oakland County (Oakland Press)
- All-Catholic (top eight players in the Detroit Catholic League’s Central Division)
- Selected to play in BCAM’s Reaching Higher Showcase in July, which teams the top underclassmen in the state to participate in a mentoring program and All-Star game.
Hayes averaged 17.4 points and 8.3 rebounds per game, shooting 58.6% from the field and 67.8% from the free throw line. He topped 30 points in a game three times (the only player in Brother Rice history to accomplish that feat besides former NBA All-Star B.J. Armstrong) and was the Oakland Press Athlete of the Week in February.
Other Warriors honored included:
- Senior F Patrick Sparks (All-League in CHSL Central)
- Senior G Denny Flynn (All-Academic in CHSL Central and a nominee for the Sam Madden Award as the league’s top scholar-athlete)
- Senior G-F Stephen Westbrooks (team’s Most Improved Player)
- Junior G-F Davis Feldman (team’s first annual Mr. Hustle Award winner)
- Junior G Ryan Jordan (team’s Free Throw Ladder Champion)
In addition, the team was recognized by BCAM for it 3.3 grade-point average as an Honorable Mention Academic All-State team. It marked the seventh straight season the Warriors have made either BCAM’s Academic All-State or Honorable Mention list.